Student Covid-19 Testing
COVID-19 Testing for students
You may have heard that routine testing for those without Coronavirus symptoms is continuing across the country using new, quicker COVID-19 tests known as ‘lateral flow devices’. This page will help to give you more information about the testing programme in our school.
Up to one third of people who have Coronavirus are asymptomatic. By testing we will help to reduce the spread in school through asymptomatic transmission. We are therefore strongly encouraging all students to continue to be tested as an additional safety layer for all staff and students at the school.
Testing, whilst strongly encouraged, is not compulsory and requires prior consent. To help inform your decision to consent to testing, please watch the NHS testing, step by step video at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvaBZskxS7tzQYlVg7lwH5uxAD9UrSzGJ.
Testing should not be completed by anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days. If this applies then please do not complete the consent form, but contact the school after the 90 day period is over to arrange to start the testing process.
Students should test on a twice weekly basis and all results will need to be submitted to both the Gov.uk website and the school. Both links can be found below;
GOV.UK - Submit Lateral Flow Results - https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result
Joseph Rowntree School - Submit Lateral Flow Results - https://forms.gle/nfxt6ekHAmmUQPkj6
To provide consent and to ensure the school can provide home test kits, please complete the Google form as soon as you are able to by going to the following link:
Consent relates to the following groups of students as below:
- For pupils and students younger than 16 years - this form must be completed by the parent or legal guardian. Please complete one consent form for each child you wish to participate in testing.
- Pupils and students over 16 who are able to provide informed consent - can complete this form themselves, having discussed participation with their parent/guardian if under 18. Mr Coleman will also be sending this information directly to all 6th Form students. Parents/carers of any students in Year 11 who are 16 years old are asked to share this information with their child for them to complete the Google form as applicable.
- For any pupil or student who does not have the capacity to provide informed consent - this form must be completed by the parent or legal guardian. Please complete one consent form for each child you wish to participate in testing.
Terms of consent
By completing the consent form, you are agreeing (either on behalf of your child, or for yourself if over 16 years) to the following terms of consent:
- I have had the opportunity to consider the information provided by the school about the testing, ask questions and have had these answered satisfactorily, based on the information presented in the letter dated 14 September 2021.
- In the case of under 16s, I have discussed the testing with my child and my child is happy to participate. If on the day of testing they do not wish to take part, then they will not be made to do so and consent can be withdrawn at any time ahead of the test.
- I consent to having/my child having a nose and throat swab for lateral flow tests.
- I understand that there may be multiple tests required and this consent covers all tests for the named person. If, on the day of testing I/they do not wish to take part, then I understand I/they will not be made to do so and that consent can be withdrawn at any time ahead of the test.
- I consent that my/my child’s sample(s) will be tested for the presence of COVID-19.
- If the lateral flow test indicates the presence of COVID-19, I commit to ensuring that I will report the result to NHS Test & Trace and inform the School accordingly.
- I understand that I/they will need to self-isolate following a positive lateral flow test result and undertake a confirmatory PCR test within 48 hrs.
- I agree that if my/my child’s test results are confirmed to be positive, I will further report this to the school and I understand that I/my child will be required to self-isolate following public health advice.
What if my child tests positive?
If a student tests positive on a lateral flow device, they will need to self-isolate and go for a confirmatory PCR test within 48 hrs. PCR Tests can be booked by phoning 119 or at https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test .If the PCR test confirms the positive result then they will have to continue to self-isolate and follow the guidance from NHS Test and Trace.
For information on isolation please follow the latest government guidance. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
What happens if the PCR test is negative?
If the PCR test is negative, this overrules the result of the lateral flow test and so the student will be able to attend school and resume their activities as normal.
What if my child develops symptoms?
This home testing programme is for people with no symptoms. If your child develops symptoms at any time (including a high temperature; a new, continuous cough; or a loss or change to their sense of smell or taste) they must immediately self-isolate, and book a test by calling 119 or visiting https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
We will support our students throughout, but please contact us if you have any questions. You can call the office on 01904 552100 or email [email protected]